Sheikh Abdul Halim triggered this post. Being the inquisitive creature that I am, I decided to 'investigate' since he posed the challenge about figuring out how Islam reached South East Asia :)
From the early days of Islam, there were two routes eastwards: the land route and the sea route to China which, for example, the uncle of the Prophet Muhammad S.A.W - Saad ibn Abi Waqqas sailed.
Accounts of how Islam spread to this region vary according to different translations. Nonetheless, anyone keen to understand the History of Islam should read the book by Professor Masud ul-Hassan. Or you can read the simplified version of "The Coming and Spread of Islam in South East Asia" here and here.
Afterthought: The deeper I dug, the more I want to know the Origins of Islam... hmm, its an assignment on its own but its worthwhile because it strengthens my Islamic identity, Subhan Allah. Read 1000 years of missing Muslim heritage.
Wednesday, December 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment